The Director of Digitization is a Senior management position to manage and expand our digitization of millions of books, audio records, films and videotapes to build one of the world's largest digital libraries.
Reporting to the Digital Librarian, the Director of Digitization will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for Internet Archive's digitization staff in 4 countries and the management of all Internet Archive programs, program expansion and the execution of the group's mission.
This requires managing people, setting up facilities, creating production processes, and working through process improvements.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Triple production rates and expand media types efficiently digitized
- Build production processes and manage to them
- Manage 70+ staff and volunteers working in libraries in multiple countries
- Manage the contracts and operate a couple remote "super scanning center"
- Work closely with our partner libraries and vendors
- Identify and resolve bottlenecks within the workflow that hinders quality, partner satisfaction, and efficiency.
- Develop new and interesting partnerships
- Track and communicate production throughput and productivity.
- Project manage hardware/software releases across all scanning operations
- Develop strong working relationships with engineering, finance, administration, and HR teams
Qualifications & Skills
- Engineering mindset and approach to production processes
- Worked internationally in setting up and operating factories
- Track record of effectively leading and scaling a performance-based organization and staff
- Unrelenting commitment to quality and efficiency
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of employees and library partners
- Passion, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
- Engineering degree with at least 5 years of senior management experience
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time
Benefits & Perks
The Internet Archive provides a comprehensive benefits package including; PTO, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, FSA, commuter, STD, LTD, 403B/Roth accounts and Friday lunches at IA HQ.
Internet Archive is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V and will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Fair Chance Ordinance.