The Director of Physical Collections manages warehouse operations and staff, and donations of millions of books music and films, to build world-class collections for digitization and long term preservation. Handling millions of objects requires building efficient processes related to sourcing, preparing, receiving, tracking, storing, and shipping books, music, and other materials. Are you a detail and process oriented person also interested in thinking big while staying organized?
Responsibilities & Duties
- Creates and manages by clear and accurate documentation of all warehouse processes (including facilities, logistics, inventory management, digitization equipment maintenance and repair, etc.).
- Hires and trains staff to implement processes, monitors performance and adjusts training accordingly. Analyzes, monitors, drives, and reports on key performance and accuracy metrics.
- Dedicated to iterative process improvement for optimizing productivity in all operations.
- Donor Management:
- Develops relationships with organizations and individuals donating books and other materials, ensures smooth transition of collections to the Physical Archive.
- Maintains sustainable incoming stream of high quality materials for digitization. Ensures accurate and detailed documentation and tracking of donations.
- Brings a customer service perspective and a commitment to excellence in meeting the needs of donors (libraries, collectors, etc.)
- Oversees employee development, review, compensation, and corrective action processes. Currently there are 4 employees.
- Promotes an inspiring and respectful work environment.
- Recruits and retains qualified, motivated, and productive employees. Leads by example and is willing to perform any function in the facility.
- Organizes emergency preparedness plans and provides 24/7 coverage on-call for Physical Archive fire/security alarms.
Qualifications & Skills
- Repository/Warehouse operations experience with a understanding of warehouse procedures, inventory and logistics.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with people at all levels inside and outside the organization. Ability to work through conflict, gain trust and persuasively influence outcomes.
- Clear written and verbal communications; strong listening skills
- Detail orientation, with solid experience tracking, monitoring, and analyzing data.
- Proficiency in online tools such as google docs, jira, slack; some experience with coding/scripting helpful.
- Thrives in a dynamic environment requiring flexibility and a sense of humor.
- Has passion for contributing to the greater good, for the benefit of future generations.
Benefits & Perks
The Internet Archive provides a comprehensive benefits package including; PTO, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, FSA, commuter, STD, LTD, 403B/Roth accounts and Friday lunches at IA HQ.
Internet Archive is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V/L/G/B/T and will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Fair Chance Ordinance.