The Internet Archive’s physical archive handles millions of objects that require the Senior Physical Archivist to source, prepare, receive, track, store, and ship, books, music, and other materials. The Senior Physical Archivist’s primary focus is on daily warehouse operations and the handling of large donations of books, music, film and other archival materials, and the preparation of these collections for digitization and long term preservation.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Uses current warehouse processes (including facilities, logistics, inventory management, digitization equipment maintenance and repair, etc.).
- Analyzes, monitors, drives, and reports on key performance and accuracy metrics.
- Provides iterative feedback on shipping supply chain process improvement and helps optimize productivity in all operations.
- Oversees accurate and detailed documentation and tracking of donations.
- Manages all logistics for small donations including packing, shipping, documenting, scanning, storage, returns etc.
- Ensures smooth transition of collections to the Physical Archive, including some client interaction.
- Committed to customer service excellence while meeting the needs of all donors (libraries, collectors, etc.)
- Promotes an inspiring and respectful work environment.
- Willing to perform any function in the Physical Archive.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Repository/Warehouse operations experience with an understanding of warehouse procedures: inventory management, forklift operations, pallet management, container management, safety procedures and logistics.
- Extremely detail oriented, with solid experience tracking, monitoring, and analyzing data.
- Proficiency in online tools such as spreadsheets, tracking systems, google docs, jira, slack; some experience with coding/scripting helpful.
- Clear written and verbal communications; strong listening skills.
- Thrives in a dynamic environment requiring flexibility and a sense of humor with excellent interpersonal skills with people at all levels inside and outside the organization.
- Position regularly requires lifting boxes of books and other materials, from 20-50 pounds per box.
- Position regularly requires standing, walking, bending, twisting, squatting, reaching and grasping as the boxes are moved.
- Position occasionally requires climbing ladders.
- Must be able to drive and have a valid drivers license and a good driving record.
- Passion for contributing to the greater good, for the benefit of future generations.
Benefits & Perks:
The Internet Archive provides a comprehensive benefits package including; PTO, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, FSA, commuter, STD, LTD, 403B/Roth accounts.
Internet Archive is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V/L/G/B/T and will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Fair Chance Ordinance.