The Accounting Specialist will be a key member of the Internet Archive's finance team.
Required Skills and Experience
Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
In-depth knowledge of QuickBooks Desktop 2017:
- Hands-on experience with accounts payable and/or accounts receivable and/or recording payroll transactions and taxes
- Strong understanding of accounting in a not-for-profit environment
- Flexibility and consistency in working with multiple QuickBooks files
Absolute must have
Understanding of and resonance with the Archive’s mission.
Adherence to strict confidentiality policies and procedures, due to access to and working with sensitive and confidential data.
Excellent knowledge of working in Microsoft PC environment (MS Excel and Word programs).
Flexibility, patience and diplomacy in handling sensitive information and working with Archive staff.
Highly organized and ability to juggle the needs of several corporate entities.
Self-starter and motivated team player.
Key Responsibilities & Duties
Maintain confidentiality and security of the Archives financial activities and records.
This position may work in the following areas:
Payroll and Accounts Payable
- In collaboration with HR, record payroll, semi-monthly or as needed
- Review/process vendor invoices, employee reimbursements and prepare payments to vendors
- Identify high expense invoices, to ensure proper reviews and approvals occur.
- Personnel expense reports, including their review prior to payment
- Processing/recording of staff credit card charges
- Review and/or reconcile vendor accounts to ensure balances are correct
- Preparation of bank deposits and processing customer payments
- Record/reconcile A/R payments and Donor contributions
Financial Controls and Compliance
- Assist with monitoring of financial controls and compliance, including review of petty cash and personnel expense reimbursements.
- Reconciling and processing of:
- Bank accounts
- Petty cash accounts
- Credit card statements, prior to payment
- Review of A/P and A/R activities, looking for discrepancy and ensuring they are resolved.
- Resolving billing issues
- Support and participation in audits and tax filings
- Clerical duties, including but not limited to electronic scanning/filing of business records and maintaining contact lists.
- General support of the Finance, Administration and HR teams.
- Ad-hoc projects as assigned by the Director of Finance or Assistant Director of Finance.
Other Desired Skills
- Degree in accounting helpful, but not required.
- Experience with documenting and/or improving processes
- Experience or in-depth familiarity with Expensify, Stampli, Slack and Google Suite